Friday, January 15, 2016

Am I Really Supposed to Praise HER?

Paul wrote the following in 1 Corinthians 7:32-35:
I want you to be without concerns. An unmarried man is concerned about the things of the Lord—how he may please the Lord. But a married man is concerned about the things of the world—how he may please his wife— and his interests are divided. . . . Now I am saying this for your own benefit, not to put a restraint on you, but because of what is proper and so that you may be devoted to the Lord without distraction.[1]
Okay, Paul. You were totally devoted to the Lord. You worshiped Him alone. You served Him wholeheartedly. You wanted others to be just as equally dedicated to Him so that the world could be evangelized quickly and usher in the second coming of Christ.
I get it. And believe me, I long for those things too. But I am a foolish young man who wants wisdom. I want to live a life that is pleasing to the Lord and that elevates Him above all things. But in the above passage, the phrase “not to put a restraint on you” looks very good, and I am extremely interested in a certain young lady. In fact, she knows I’m interested in her, and we have been in an “official” dating relationship for the past two months.
So here’s my conundrum: I want to keep God first, but too often I find myself extolling her too much in my mind. Paul was certainly right when he said I’ll have troubles in this life (cf. 1 Corinthians 7:28), and I’m not even married yet. So, in my search for wisdom regarding relationships I turned to the book of Proverbs. Chapter 31 describes the type of woman I pray that I will end up with, and the girl I’m dating definitely showcases many of the traits found in that awesome poem, but then the phrase at the end strikes me weirdly: “a woman who fears the Lord will be praised.”[2]
This made me curious, so I check to see what Hebrew word is translated “praise,” hoping the writer differentiated this type of praise from the praise due to God alone (our English “hallelujah” is really a Hebrew compound word meaning “praise Yahweh”). And sure enough, my hopes are dashed. The Hebrew root describing the praise due to a Yahweh-fearing woman is הלל (halal).
This throws a monkey wrench into my thinking. I don’t want the word commanding me to praise God and praise a godly woman to be the same. I was hoping it would be a case of praise vs. respect or praise vs. honor or worship vs. praise. So, I decide to turn to the earliest translation of the Hebrew text: the Greek Septuagint (LXX). It does no better for me; αινεω (aineō) is also used throughout to refer to praising God.
God doesn’t want me to praise a godly woman the same way I praise Him, does He? I don’t at all want to be guilty of idolatry in a relationship. I don’t want my interests to be divided; I want to be completely dedicated to Jesus Christ. My heart is much too fickle as it is; I really wish that God would have helped me out a little here. How am I ever supposed to follow Paul’s advice in 1 Corinthians 7 if after I get married I am to praise my wife the same way I praise Yahweh? There has to be a divinely inspired reason for making the words the same. One scholar describes the meaning of the word as follows: “This root connotes being sincerely and deeply thankful for and/or satisfied in lauding a superior quality(ies) or great, great act(s) of the object.”[3]
So thankfulness and satisfaction are to be found because of a Yahweh-fearing woman? I thought thankfulness and satisfaction were ultimately to be found in Yahweh alone. And then it gets even stickier. One word study explains that the root for the Hebrew “praise” comes from the Arabic language and means “sing joyfully to someone.”[4] So the best way to show praise is to sing to the object. I guess that explains why “hallelujah” occurs so often in the book of Psalms—the hymnbook of Israel. It also explains why “love songs” are so popular these days.
However, there is an important line to draw at this point. For the man or woman who fears Yahweh, Proverbs 31:30 describes the material that should be present in such “love songs.” That verse reads, “Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD will be praised.” Worldly “love songs” are all about external beauty, sexuality, and the like; the Christian husband (of whom I am not yet one, but hopefully someday) should praise his wife for something more permanent, namely the fact that she fears God. One commentator explains, “A beautiful woman may enjoy admiration and compliments for the moment, but the one who will really be praised is she who fears the Lord.”[5] Not to say that the fear of the Lord in her is what is to be praised,[6] but rather that if a woman really fears Yahweh, there will be no end of things in her person, character, and appearance for which her husband can praise her.
The fear of Yahweh is key in the discussion, because in the book of Proverbs fear of Yahweh is the litmus test for everything. Proverbs 1:7 makes the fear of Yahweh the beginning of wisdom. Proverbs 8:13 makes the fear of Yahweh the hatred of evil. Proverbs 19:23 makes the fear of Yahweh what grants a peaceful life (which can be understood in light of the Gospel of John’s eternal life theology). In Proverbs 8, wisdom speaks as if she was a woman, and explains that she is more valuable than precious metals (8:10-11) which is coincidentally parallel to the phrase in 31:10. I’ve joked (though I’m not sure how much of a joke it is) that the book of Proverbs is a “how to find a wife manual,” but at the very least it gives evidence to the fact that a godly wife is invaluable in life for the Christian man. If she fears Yahweh, she has at least a seed of wisdom (that can and should be nurtured and grown), she has a hatred of evil (at least minimal that can and should grow), and she is living her life in the light of the fact that she has eternal life through Christ. These are all reasons for a believing husband to praise his wife. “All that she does for her household affords her husband the financial stability and social status that a responsible husband desires for himself, his children—and his wife.”[7] This basically means that if she has the qualities resulting from the fear of Yahweh, her husband should possess them too, and together they can sharpen each other in them (cf. Proverbs 27:17).
But with all that information, I’m still officially single as far as Proverbs 31 is concerned. How much am I able to praise the godly woman that God has placed in my life during this chapter of our relationship? It is very interesting that the word in verse 10 translated “wife” is the same word in verse 30 translated “woman,” so I could try to make a case that verse 10 is translated wrong, and that any Yahweh-fearing woman deserves to be praised, which isn’t necessarily a bad view to hold (all Yahweh-fearing people need to be encouraged in their faith [cf. Hebrews 10:24-25]). However, by verse 30, the context has made it clear that it is speaking of a wife, and since the Hebrew there is identical to that in verse 10, it should be translated “a wife who fears the Lord will be praised.” So I can’t yet do this.
But then I look into how this passage has been understood historically and try to find a way out, a way to apply Proverbs 31:30 in a dating relationship (I mean, if all Scripture is useful for different things like Paul wrote in 2 Timothy 3:16, then this passage should be no different). Fox explains that most “[c]ommentators agree that, at least on the surface, an actual human woman is being described,” (which doesn’t help my case right now, but he goes on). “Some, however, add a further, allegorical, level of meaning and consider that as conveying the poem’s most significant message.”[8] Maybe I can apply this passage to my relationship allegorically. I learn that Jewish scholars allegorized this text to be able to refer to men as well as women, which probably paved the way for Augustine to understand it in its most influential allegorical understanding: the church.[9] This is helpful for me. If she belongs to the church, just like I belong to the church, then I can praise her as my sister-in-Christ all the time. I can drive her crazy with my praise for her. But then the following two thoughts strike: 1) Are you going to praise all your sisters-in-Christ that way? and 2) if it’s allegorical, then God is the husband who is praising His church. Bang goes that theory!
So I’m back to square one. I think the world of a certain girl, but how do I show that to her in an appropriate way at this stage of our relationship? From all that I can see right now, I can’t do this. And then I see this: “The Woman of Strength [literal translation of ‘capable wife’ in 31:10] has her negative counterpart in the Strange Woman, also a type figure.”[10] And elsewhere, I find this:
The young man has no choice but to follow one woman or the other. He will either pursue Woman Wisdom or Woman Folly, and with them he will take their counterparts, the good wife or the prostitute/quarrelsome wife. He cannot attain wisdom without the good wife because she creates the environment in which he can flourish. If he chooses an evil woman, he has little hope of transcending the context she will make for him.[11]
It’s the italicized section that gave me my application. The greatest way I can praise a godly woman who I’m dating is by not being lured away by another. If I get lured away by the Strange Woman in a dating relationship, what’s to assure me either 1) that I won’t be lured away in a married relationship? or 2) that I will even end up married to a wise woman? The answer for both of these is NOTHING. As such, I can praise the woman God has given me right now by building her up in Christ as I remind her of His promises, by pointing out qualities in her that I admire, by telling her she is beautiful on occasion (because every girl needs to hear it sometimes), and by fighting all sin patterns in me that would lead her to conclude that I am not worthy of a Proverbs 31 woman (which if she was still with me would necessarily lead her to doubt her own status as a Proverbs 31 woman).
But then I feel like it’s too late. I feel like I’ve done too much wrong to ever deserve the virtuous wife described in Proverbs 31. I feel like I deserve more of the type of woman described in Proverbs 7 and warned against throughout the book. And then God reminds me, “Look at the girl I’ve placed in your life right now. She’s nowhere near the Proverbs 7 type; she’s well on her way to emulating the Proverbs 31 type. Be grateful. Stand up and be a man for her. Stop moping! Christ died for you! I’ve forgiven you. You’re loved.” I know it’s true, and if you ever feel the same way that I find myself feeling on occasion, it can be true for you too (and maybe already is). As soon as you turn to Christ in faith, He will turn your life around, and the statements there will be true of you too. Forgiven. Loved. Until you know the love of Christ, you can never love another human properly.
I conclude with a quote aimed at married men, but the additional understanding I add in [brackets] are to explain it and apply to us dating guys as well.
[H]ere is a basic principle for us men: If we don't get radical, nothing will ever change. Christ got radical for you at the cross, and it changed everything forever. And he put you with your wife [girlfriend] because he loves her. He put you with her as a mighty blessing to her. So get radical, start changing, begin a new tradition in your home [relationship][12], starting today. If you step out in new obedience, the Lord will help you. And your family [future family] will rejoice over you.[13]
How will you get radical for your wife / future wife? Christ has the grace to help you. All you have to do is ask Him to help you accomplish whatever it is He is calling you to do. For your wife—for your future wife—: praise her! I certainly plan on doing it by reminding her of the Gospel, by pointing out her good traits, by telling her she is beautiful, and by fighting sin in myself. How will you praise the one God has placed in your life?


[1] Unless otherwise noted, all scripture quotations are taken from the Holman Christian Standard Bible, © 2003 by Holman Bible Publishers. Used by permission.
[2] Emphasis added.
[3] R. Laird Harris, Gleason L. Archer, Bruce K. Waltke, ed., “500: הָלַל,” in Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, (Chicago: Moody Press, 1980), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, 217.
[4] H. Cazelles, “llh,” In Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, vol. 3, edited by G. Johannes Botterweck & Helmer Ringgren (Grand Rapids, MI: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1997), 404.
[5] Michael V. Fox, Proverbs 10-31, Anchor Bible Commentary (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2009), 898. Emphasis in original.
[6] Contra Roland E. Murphy, Proverbs, Word Biblical Commentary (Nashville, TN: Thomas Nelson, 1998), 244.
[7] Michael V. Fox, Proverbs 10-31, Anchor Bible Commentary, 917
[8] Ibid., 905
[9] Ibid., 906-907.
[10] Ibid., 911.
[11] Duane A. Garrett, Proverbs, New American Commentary (Nashville, TN: Broadman Press, 1993), 252. Emphasis mine.
[12] This can be done according to the bolded statements two paragraphs prior.
[13] Raymond C. Ortlund Jr., Preaching the Word – Proverbs: Wisdom that Works, ed. R. Kent Hughes, (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 2012), WORDsearch CROSS e-book, 152.

No comments:

Post a Comment