Friday, March 2, 2012

Prayer Bargaining pt 2

Judges 11:30-35— “Jephthah made a vow to the LORD and said, “If You will indeed give the sons of Ammon into my hand, then it shall be that whatever comes out of the doors of my house to meet me when I return in peace from the sons of Ammon, it shall be the LORD’S, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering.” So Jephthah crossed over to the sons of Ammon to fight against them; and the LORD gave them into his hand. He struck them with a very great slaughter from Aroer to the entrance of Minnith, twenty cities, and as far as Abel-keramim. So the sons of Ammon were subdued before the sons of Israel. When Jephthah came to his house at Mizpah, behold, his daughter was coming out to meet him with tambourines and with dancing. Now she was his one and only child; besides her he had no son or daughter. When he saw her, he tore his clothes and said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low, and you are among those who trouble me; for I have given my word to the LORD, and I cannot take it back.””

So, I read this today and it reminded me of my post from a couple days ago about prayer bargaining with God. Clearly it’s not a good idea. Because, it would be highly possible for to happen. I would not be able to follow through on my vow, but we as Christians are called to live up to our word. So the warning is not to promise God anything if He will do one certain thing for us. So, I thank God again for showing me that I shouldn’t bargain with Him, and for allowing me to hear Him through His word.

No comments:

Post a Comment